Although we do not purchase books for cash, we are happy to consider quality books (ones you didn’t find in the alley) for trade credit according to the following limitations:
- Only Monday through Saturday between 11 am and 4:30 pm.
- We do not have sufficient staff to consider books for trade on Sunday.
- All trades are done by appointment only. We’re happy to do your trade but please call us at 303.837.0700 to make sure we have enough staff at hand.
Trade credit is good for one year after the initial trade and is kept on file under your name. Just let us know you have credit on file when you are ready to purchase used books.
Sorry, but trade credit cannot be used for any gift items, new or collectible books. (Don’t worry. Trade credit is good for 99 percent of all books in the store.)
As a rule, we take books for trade from most sources on almost any subject. Below is a list of our basic needs:
- Science Fiction
- Mysteries (no hardcover)
- Health (Holistic, yoga, tai-chi, etc.)
- Art/Architecture/Craft Books
- Biographies (Political, Musical, etc.)
- True Crime
- Philosophy (Western and Eastern)
- History (American, World, etc.)
- Religion (Western and Eastern)
Although we try to be accommodating, there are some things we don’t accept for trade:
- Book of the Month Club
- Abridged books
- Audio books
- Auto Repair manuals
- Computer Books
- Men’s Adventure (numbered series)
- Ex-Library Books
- Reader’s Digest Condensed
- Anything out of date (e.g., old travel books, formerly current events, obsolete technology)
- Books in poor condition (highlighting/underlining, cracked spines, missing pages, etc).
If your book doesn’t fall into one of these categories, please contact us. You may call us at 303.837.0700 or e-mail your questions to info at capitolhillbooks.com.
All books should be in good condition in order to be considered salable. During a trade, we look at both our current inventory and condition. So please don’t feel bad if a quality book is rejected, we simply just didn’t need it at that time.
We will gladly give a full refund to books bought in store with a receipt within 24 hours of the sale as long as items are in the same condition as purchased. Books returned after 24 hours are subject to the trading policy as described on this page. Sorry, but return policy does not apply to gift items or clearance items found on our carts or clearance shelves.